Friday 26 October 2007

Life is Simple


I remember gazing at fireworks in the sky. I am always amazed at the sparkle of lights and the flurry of color that brightens the sky. Yet, as the illuminated sky slowly turns dark again, the ashes fall to the ground and the memory of the beauty lingers till the sun's rays replace the darkness.
Such is the illusion of life – a memory of yesterdays gone by and the fading of darkness by the sun's rays – in the hope of a better tomorrow.

The cliché` often says that life is a winding path with inevitable ups and downs. When I look back at my life, I couldn't agree more. Yet, life is not merely about walking along the winding path, but also about reaching out to the people who pass us by on their journey. The simplicity of life is not in the mundane cycle of sunsets and sunrises, but in the gardens of experience that bloom and whither through this cycle.


All of us live through life trying to figure out its meaning and purpose. Each person's definition of what is most important in life differs – it could be relationships, success, money, power, experience… the list is endless. In our quest for desire, what we often forget is that the true test of what we achieve is not what others perceive us to be but what we see everyday when we look at ourselves in the mirror.


Every day has challenges and adversities – some worse than the other. Like they say, the only constant in life is change. The simplicity of life is only evident when we find that balance within ourselves to be able to face that adversity and come out stronger and better. You might say that that is easier said than done but at the end of the day it is just a matter of perception. I can try to avoid making choices by doing nothing, but even that is a decision.


I sometimes feel empty - like I may have left behind or lost a part of my soul - I question why it was taken away from me, why I have to suffer this pain, but I choose to celebrate the existence of all that I have lost, rather than mourn its loss. My life is blessed and enriched because of its being and I will not demean its importance in my life by tearing it to bits in a struggle to hold on.


Every season is not festive and every festival cannot be celebrated till I learn to celebrate my own soul; Till I learn to look back at the place where the fireworks were once in the sky and smile at the joy that they brought me. Yes there is sometimes a black hole that needs to be filled, and there is a smoky sky that needs to clear before the light comes in – but there is also the warmth of faith within me that leads me to believe that tomorrow is a new day.


The sun will shine through the clouds and its warmth will spread a rainbow of joy and love all around me.. and yet again.. I will stop and marvel at the beauty of life... and realise it truly is that simple...

1 comment:

krist0ph3r said...

i couldn't agree more - life is simple...and beautiful!

love your blog :)