Monday 5 November 2007

Bizee Bizee Bizee....

It suddenly hit me today that I have been in Edinburgh for 2 months now.. so how is it that while I have been doing so much that is keeping me busy, my blog has no words to describe all that I have been up to. :)

For starters, I have been trying to settle into a very hectic class schedule which involves a whole lot of preparatory work for every lecture. As tiring (and sometimes immensely boring!) all the advance reading can be, I have truly begun to see the value add it provides in terms of group discussions and interactive learning that is predominantly part of the teaching style here. I also wrote my first ever academic essay for a formative assessment task that was given to us. It was quite an enlightening experience, not only in terms of the knowledge expansion in the subject, but also with regards to individual behaviour of my classmates when it comes to competition and evaluation… people’s reactions to such situations and their description and discussions of how they have done in comparison with one another can really tell you a lot about the kind of people they are – information that is very good to know when you are still trying to get your foothold around unfamiliar territory that you have in common with them.

However, while all this suddenly makes my life sound very functionally boring, its not only academics that are keeping me on my toes. ‘Work-life balance’ takes on a whole new meaning in reflection of all the fun things I have been doing over the last month or so. Snapshots of the experiences so far follow separately…..

No comments: